Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Sweet and Sour Chicken

It's about time! Here's the recipe, along with a few pictures (and my own comments). It's an easy recipe, it's just a little time consuming, but oh so worth it! Hope you enjoy.

You'll need:

3-5 chicken breasts
salt and pepper

Breading:
1 cup cornstarch
2 eggs, beaten
1/3 cup canola oil

Sauce:
3/4 cup white sugar
4 Tablespoons ketchup
1/2 cup white distilled vinegar
1 Tablespoon soy sauce
1 teaspoon garlic salt

Preheat oven to 350*

1. Rinse and cut chicken into one inch cubes. Season with salt and pepper.



2. Heat oil in skillet. Meanwhile, dip chicken into cornstarch and coat all the way, then into eggs.
3. Cook chicken in skillet until golden brown. Don't overcrowd your pan, so you'll need to do this in batches. Once chicken is golden brown, place in a baking dish. (I coat my baking dish with cooking spray)



4. Whisk all the ingredients of the sauce together. Pour evenly over chicken. Turn the chicken so the sauce gets on both sides. 


5. Put chicken in the oven for 15 minutes. Flip the chicken, then cook for 15 minutes more. (When you open the oven, you may want to take a step back, or hold your breath. It smells amazing, but the vinegar can take you by surprise and make your eyes water and nose tingle!)

I serve mine with white rice. I *love* white rice, and so do my kids. I've also served it with mixed steamed veggies or steamed broccoli, but really, this can stand on it's own. Like I said, easy peasy, but a little time consuming. Enjoy!





I couldn't get a picture of my son eating it. EVERY time I make it, he says "Mommy, I don't like that chicken". But EVERY time I make it, he eats it. I think he's just not partial to the smell of it, but he does like it, and he does eat it.

Also, I got the original recipe from pinterest. Here's the original (or at least, original to me): Made It. Ate It. Loved It.: Sweet and Sour Chicken

No comments:

Post a Comment