Saturday, December 21, 2013

Christmas Tree Skirt tutorial

I'm not sure I've done a tutorial, so here's a first!

This tree skirt was way too easy for how pretty it turned out. I usually don't take pictures, because when I do, the project turns out awful (I think it's the pressure). So hopefully you can make due with minimal pictures. It's really not that hard, just some tedious work! I did this in about 4 hours with 1 baby rolling around on the fabric, so you can do it too!

I also use anything I have available, so I can't tell you the exact price of this project, but I'm sure it's not too expensive. I used my pre-cut felt tree skirt, but other tutorials will tell you how to make your own, and to use painters cloth. I think just about anything will hold us. My felt works really well (and is cheap!). The great thing about this project is you can tailor it to suit your needs. I think this tree skirt would look great in just about anything- a flowery pattern, polka dots, ombre... Maybe I'll start making a bunch for next year and open an etsy shop (since those are so popular).

Materials:

Lots of fabric. I used IKEA curtains that I had LOTS of extra. They're called LENDA curtains.. They're 118" by 55". I used about 1 whole panel, plus 3 inches. The great thing about these is they already have a seam guideline for cutting.
Glue gun and glue I used a mini glue gun and 10 glues sticks
scissors
Tree skirt (or extra fabric to make your own- about 4 yards)
Ribbon optional- to tie bows in the back.

If you are making your own tree skirt, see this tutorial: No sew ruffled tree skirt
Start by cutting strips about 2-3".
Glue the strips onto the tree skirt, starting at the bottom and working your way up (from the outside to the inside). Scrunch the fabric as you go, making it ruffle. First I tried overlapping pieces to make it ruffle, but pinching it as you lay it down works much faster and the ruffles look prettier. Make sure you overlap the rows slightly.
At the top of your tree skirt, after you've finished all the rows, add a small strip of fabric for a hem.
Cut 4-6 pieces of ribbon, about 12'' each. Glue them to each open ended side of your tree skirt so you can tie it closed.

That's the end, people! So easy!



No comments:

Post a Comment